Sourdough Discard Crackers
A lot of people are put off of Sourdough because of the constant feeding/discarding that comes along with. I have to be honest, the act of feeding my starter every morning is one of my favorite responsibilities each day. There’s something so rhythmic about it, and I certainly enjoy being a part of a process that at its base is truly mind-blowing. What shouldn’t work, does… and the effort required on my part is so minimal. I’m just happy to be a small part of the team.
On the days that I don’t feel like making bread, or our schedules are just too full in the mornings and I didn’t get a chance to start the bread in time (the more likely case) This recipe is now one of my go-tos.
Its quick to make, helps me to not waste the discard, AND the whole family loves them.
1 cup Sourdough Discard
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Combine everything in a bowl until dough forms and begin rolling out your dough until it becomes super thin. (If your dough is too thick it will be more tortilla than cracker. Use a piece of parchment paper on top while rolling to help you get them really thin.)
3. Place on baking sheet lined with parchments paper and brush top with butter. (I also add a little bit more salt but this is optional!)
4. Bake for 15 minutes then remove from oven. Allow to cool on counter for ten minutes before breaking your crackers into pieces.
5. If any make it past the first sitting feel free to store in an airtight container and snack as you wish!
I hope you guys enjoy this use of your sourdough discard as much as my family does!